By Dr. Samuel P. Martin
Did you know that one of the best things that you can do to maintain your leg health is to use compression therapy by wearing medical grade compression stockings? It’s true. Compression stockings and socks are the gold standard in managing the signs and symptoms of vein disease. With today’s advancements in materials, tailoring and styles, taking advantage of this health tool has never been easier.
1. Custom fitting offers better results: Medical specialists offer custom fitting to give you the most effective compression therapy available. When properly fitted, compression stockings provide steady pressure on your legs to help vein and leg muscles move blood more efficiently from the leg.They are especially important in the following groups of people:
- Those who stand for long periods, like beauticians, nurses and retail salespersons
- Women who are pregnant
- Those experiencing heaviness, fullness, aching or swelling in their legs
2. Many style options exist: The best part about today’s compression therapy is that the socks don’t have to look like your grandma’s stockings anymore! Compression can be fashionable and is available in a variety of textures and colors. Many manufacturers now even offer compression leggings in a variety of colors.
3. Manufacturers offer products tailored to your lifestyle: Specialized compression manufacturers now give you access to the exact product that matches your lifestyle. This includes socks of varying lengths and pressure levels. Sport compression stocking manufacturers are particularly adept at offering a stocking for every purpose, including everyday use, performance enhancement and post-workout recovery.
Working long hours, standing and even sitting can cause problems with your leg health. As a Vascular Surgeon, I was fortunate to learn early in my career about the benefits of compression socks. Long hours of standing at the operating room can be costly to your leg health, but compression stockings helped me. Reach out to me and my team to see how compression therapy can improve your leg health too.